Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Look

Today, I had to go to downtown Des Moines. First, I hate going down there right around rush hour. All that damn construction coupled with the partially ice covered roads this morning turned a 15 minute trip into a 45 minute trip.

So I get downtown, and all the garages are full. I am going to 801 Grand building (that super tall one). I end up parking near the Federal Building, about 6 blocks away. This will only add to my tardiness!! At least we have a ton of skywalks. I finally get to the building and go up to meet with some people about a presentation I am to do this afternoon. We sit there and talk a few minutes, they give me some info, then they add “You do know that you are presenting before lunch, right?”

I answer “No, but thanks for telling me!”

So I get out of there and take the elevator down 20 some odd stories to the lobby. I am thinking about this damn presentation and what the Hell I am going to say. I thought I would have all morning and lunch to work on it, but now I am screwed.

Although there was another person on the elevator, I took advantage of the general solitude to consider what I was going to speak about and how I would approach the presentation. Mid-thought, probably around the 15th floor, the over 40 "I am a secretary but want people to think I am an executive" bitch decided she would try to strike up a conversation. I don't remember exactly what she said, but it was some bullshit along the lines of "How's it going?" and "Looks like you are busy". Yeah, I’m frickin busy as Hell, bitch. I just got informed I have a major presentation at 11 AM, a presentation that I was going to do at 2:30 for finals, now shut the hell up.

Of course, I didn’t say this, just thought it. I smiled and nodded my head.

Why is it that random people insist on talking to you when stuck in a one-on-one situation? Just because you can't 'maintain' during an awkward silence doesn't mean the rest of the world needs to be hassled with your bullshit. Some of us take advantage of our alone time by contemplating certain issues in life. Leave me the fuck alone...if I make eye contact with you and smile, then I'll talk to you.

I have a default expression on my face that I use when I think someone is a fucking retard. It's hard to describe, but my wife knows it well since she sees the look just about every time we have to deal with the general public. We now refer to it as "The Look".

Sorry, I just had to vent. I am having a bad day!!!!

No comments: